Facilitated Variation


I've prepared a bunch of exam questions for my students and given them out two weeks before the exam. I promised them that I would post some of these questions on my blog to see how you would answer them. I'm hoping that you, dear readers, will show my students that there really is some controversy.

Here's the first question. It's based on Gerhart and Kirschner (2007).
What do you think of Kirschner and Gerhart’s "Theory of Facilitated Evolution." Is this something that has to be incorporated into a new extended version of evolutionary theory? What, if any, are the limitations of the theory and what, if any, new insights into evolution does it provide?


Gerhart, J., and Kirschner, M. (2007) The theory of facilitated variation. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA 104 Suppl 1:8582-8589. [doi: 10.1073/pnas.0701035104]
nature science for kids,nature science definition,nature science articles,nature science jobs,nature science museum,nature science projects,nature science magazine,nature science journal nature science for kids,nature science definition,nature science articles,nature science jobs,nature science museum,nature science projects,nature science magazine,nature science journal